Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Life of Pi +++++

This is only the second book I have reread immediately after finishing it the first time. It seemed necessary for me since I had not given full attention to Pi and his character development the first time around. But by the second stage of the book, the sea adventures, I was curious about how Pi got to be Pi. I couldn't go back then, I simply had to finish the book first.
There's some good wildlife vs zoolife philosophy or common folklore from Pi's POV as taught by his father. As Pi absorbed the lessons of animal behavior...I often wondered 'why do we need to know this'? We find out in the second half of the book. Best of all Pi has a sense of humor. A charming, funny, fantasy with a good message for us all.

2 comments:

Z_gal said...

Thanks for reviewing this one.
I found this book simply charming. It reminded me of the mysticism in some books from Latin America without the heavy-handedness.
Like you, I had to immediately go back and read the beginning again to newly uncover what gems I'd missed the first time. It was kind of like getting two books in one - the act of reading the story transformed the meaning of it, justifying (in my mind, anyway) a clarifying re-read.
Rare when so many of the books I read leave me feeling "So, that's that!"
Just a delight.

j-dub said...

Gads, I ought to have you write the reviews...you're so much better at this than I.
Start reading, quick!

Books I'm Reading

  • Bones, Rocks and Stars by Chris Turney
  • Kick Ass by Carl Hiaasen
  • Life by Richard Fortey
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a bowl of whipped cream in the other, my 1935 Pooh Bear and a good book tucked under my arms, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

contributed by Pondies